Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Alphabet 2006, S-V


S is for Sashimi
Taken December 8th, 2006
Brookings, Oregon
Nikon D80, Sigma lens set at 42 mm.
ISO 200,  f /5.3, 1/60 second, flash

Raw fish isn't everyone's dish of choice, but I love it.  This was the dinner plate served to my friend Steven at the Café Kitanishi in Brookings, Oregon.  I had ordered the same sashimi combination plate a couple of days earlier, and I have to say that this is the best sashimi I've had anywhere.


T is for Teasel
Taken December 1st, 2006
Near Gold Beach, Oregon
Nikon Coolpix L3, Focal length 19.2 mm
ISO 50, f /5.3, 1/65 second

Any of a genus (Dipsacus) of bristly plants of the teasel family, with prickly, cylindrical heads of yellowish or purplish flowers; esp the fuller's teasel (Dipsacus fullonum) with flower heads having sharp, spinelike bracts.  Weavers used to grow these in their gardens, drying the heads to use as a tool to full or raise the nap of newly woven cloth.

U is for Ukulele
Taken December 7th, 2006
Smith River, California
Nikon D80 DSLR, Sigma lens at 50 mm
ISO 100, f /5.6, 1/125 second

In June, 1959, we moved to California from Montana.  Shortly thereafter, Father took a business trip to Hawai'i.  He brought me this ukulele which I played constantly until I got my first guitar.  In November, 2005, I rescued it from the garage of the house in Smith River, took it back to Missoula with me and had it fully restored.  It is displayed on a double weave lap robe I wove for my father.  Care to hear me play "Princess Poo-poo-lee Has Plenty Papaya"?

V is for Victorian
Taken December 4th, 2006
Eureka, California
Nikon Coolpix L3, Focal Length 14.8 mm
ISO 200, f /4.6, .6 second

The Carson Mansion, now a private club in Eureka, California, is arguably the most photographed building in that part of California north of San Francisco.  Here it is all dolled up for Christmas, 2006.

No comments: