Saturday, October 3, 2026

Pic of the Day — Devils Tower: A Second Visit, a Different View



The first time I visited Wyoming’s Devils Tower, the weather kept most of it to itself.

A blizzard had torn across northern Wyoming and western South Dakota, closing Mount Rushmore for the day. At Devils Tower, I could see the bottom of the formation, but its summit disappeared into mist and snow. I had arrived at the famous landmark, yet much of it remained hidden.

My return on May 23, 2025, offered a very different view. It was a glorious spring day to be driving cross-country with my camera close at hand. This time, the entire tower stood before me, its deeply furrowed rock rising above a green hillside and a belt of pines. Great white clouds filled the sky, with patches of blue opening between them.

I like the contrast between those two visits. My first glimpse left me imagining what the weather concealed. This visit let me appreciate the whole formation—and bring home a photograph of it.

Sometimes returning to a place gives you the view you hoped for the first time.

This photograph is available through my LightIntoArt Etsy shop on paper, canvas, metal, or acrylic:
https://lightintoart.etsy.com/listing/4311386222/devils-tower-wall-art-wyoming-landscape

Photography by Bryan D. Spellman, Ph.D.

No comments: