Saturday, December 7, 2019

Instant Pot™ Potage St. Germain

It's December, and while technically it might not be Winter, the air is cool enough, and there is snow and ice around, so let's make soup.  One of my all-time favorite soups is Potage St. Germain, a French pea soup that I first met through the three volume Illustrated Good Housekeeping Encyclopedic Cookbook © 1965 where I found the recipe in volume 3 page 1190.  I've been making this soup for a very long time, always faithfully following the recipe and always loving the result.  But I have a new kitchen gadget (those of you who know me personally know I belong to the Kitchen Gadget of the Month Club), and frankly, I'm in love with my Instant Pot™.  I've had it just about a year now--it was Kevin's Christmas present to me in 2018, and I'm learning all kinds of new tricks with it.  Two days ago, for instance, I made a risotta in it.  Heaven.  No standing at the stove stirring for half an hour.

Anyway...  When I made the soup earlier in the week, I photographed a bowl and posted that on Facebook and Twitter where friends asked for the recipe.  Since I adapted the Good Housekeeping recipe for the Instant Pot™, here, to the best of my recollection, is what I did (and I have the Good Housekeeping recipe right in front of me as I write this).

Instant Pot™ Potage St. Germain


1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, minced
1 medium carrot, pared and finely diced
The green part of a large leek, chopped or snipped
6 or so cups chicken  or vegetable broth
1 ham hock with some meat attached
1 cup shredded lettuce (or spinach--I used lettuce)
1 bay leaf
A few sprigs of fresh thyme (or a pinch dried thyme)
2 cups quick-cooking green split peas
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup shelled fresh or frozen peas (I used frozen)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)  Set Instant Pot™ to Sauté and let heat up.
2) Melt the 1 Tablespoon butter in the hot pot, then add in the onion, carrot and leek.  Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent and the carrot and leek has softened.
3) Pour in the stock, add the shredded lettuce, the bay leaf, the thyme, the 2 cups split peas,  the ham hock, salt (and I add fresh ground pepper), and the sugar.  Close top and set vent switch to pressure.   Set the Instant Pot™ to High Pressure and set timer for 7 minutes.  WAIT (It will take approximately 10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure.)
4) When the Instant Pot™'s timer has counted down the 7 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then move the vent switch to release any remaining pressure.
5) When you remove the lid,  remove the bone and if you wish you may use an immersion blender to blend all those veggies, but I don't.  I find the pressure cooking does a pretty good job of mixing everything up.
6) While the soup is still hot, add the frozen peas, the 2 Tablespoons of butter, and the heavy cream.   By adding the frozen peas at the end, the heat of the soup will thaw the frozen peas, but without the pressure, they will remain whole and bright green.  Stir to blend and serve with a good homemade bread.
7)  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kelley P of Toledo OH said...

I just made your Potage St Germain pea soup with my left over Easter ham. I grew up in the Northwest Ohio region in the late 70s. My mother and I often grabbed lunch at The Magic Pan where I grew to this love soup!! Having moved back to my hometown and becoming very reminiscent I found your recipe and May I say you took me right back to those lunches with my mom ( who has since passed)
I loved the addiction of the fresh peas at the end!! I will be honest I did add some white wine to the first step of cooking the carrots leaks etc and like The Magic Pan I added a large dollop of sour cream to the finished product
Thank you so much for this delicious memory ❤️
Kelley P